ACADEMY POLICIES AND EXPECTATIONS FOR STUDY
Class Placement Policy
BVI offers all students, who wish to enroll in the academy, a personal evaluation for class placement purposes. Upon taking a placement class, students will be placed in a level of instruction suited to their technique and comprehension. Advancement is decided by the Directors and faculty, and is considered on an individual basis. Considerations often
include a student’s physical development related to injury prevention. Students progress at their own rate and should be rewarded for their own personal achievements without making comparisons to other students.
Regular attendance of classes is essential to advance through the levels of study. If a student must miss a class due to illness or personal emergency, please notify the Directors prior to class time. Up to eight missed classes per academy year may be made up if there is an appropriate class available (same level or below). More than five missed classes in a five-month period without a doctor’s note or legitimate family emergency will result in reevaluation of level placement and possible loss of performance roles. Make-up classes are non-transferable.
Dress Code Policy
BVI maintains that the use of a uniform dress code is a necessary aspect of a successful learning environment. Students are required to wear the designated color leotard for their level. The only leotard styles allowed are spaghetti strap, tank top, long sleeve, short sleeve and cap sleeve; no crisscross back straps, rhinestones, mesh or lace inserts are permitted. Hair must be secured in a bun and away from the face and eyes. The only jewelry permitted is stud earrings. All students are expected to maintain a neat appearance.
It is imperative that students of all ages wear clothing over their dance attire when outside of the building. Dance shoes should never be worn on any outside surfaces.
Uniform by level and elective is as follows:
- Dance with Me: Any color leotard, pink tights, pink ballet shoes, skirts and tutus are allowed.
- Pre-Ballet, Beginning Ballet, Ballet A, B, Beginning Tap: Light Blue leotard, convertible pink tights, pink ballet shoes, hair in a classical ballet bun and black tap shoes. Bare feet preferred for tumbling.
- Bridge Level: Solid black leotard, convertible pink tights, pink ballet shoes and hair in a classical ballet bun. Black tap shoes (if taking Tap) and jazz shoes (if taking Jazz).
- Level 1 and 2: Iris (#498) leotard (Motionwear Brand in Silkskyn fabric), convertible pink tights, pink ballet shoes, hair in a classical ballet bun. Black tap shoes and black jazz shoes if elective is added. Bare feet preferred for Modern.
- Level 3 and 4: Sunset Coral (#494) leotard (Motionwear Brand in Silkskyn fabric), convertible pink tights, pink ballet shoes. hair in a classical ballet bun. Character shoes and skirt. Black jazz and tap shoes if elective is added. Bare feet preferred for Modern.
- Level 5 and 6: Shadow Gray (#491) leotard (Motionwear Brand in Silkskyn fabric), convertible pink tights, pink ballet shoes, and hair in a classical ballet bun. Character shoes and skirt. Black jazz and tap shoes if elective is added. Bare feet preferred for Modern.
- Company and Advanced Company: Ladies – Approved company eggplant, burgundy, green and black leotards. Saturday, leotard of choice. Skirt for rehearsal, and tights and shoes appropriate for class. Men – Black tights and dance belt, black shoes or white shoes with white socks, Company leotard or Black or white fitted t-shirt.
- Boys (Up to Age 11): Black shorts, or leggings, black shoes, white socks and white t- shirt. Jazz shoes for Character. Tap and Jazz shoes if signed up for electives.
- Young Men (12 and older): Black tights and dance belt, black shoes or white shoes with white socks, white fitted t-shirt. Jazz shoes for Character. Jazz and Tap shoes if signed up for electives.
Communications and Inclement Weather Closure
BVI maintains an active and up-to-date website along with a Facebook page and Instagram account. We also send out a weekly newsletter to all BVI families. Be sure to follow us on social media and look for your newsletter. For weather closures, see our Facebook page.
Late Pick-up Policy
All dancers must be picked up immediately after class, rehearsal, or performances. There will be a $10 charge for every 15 minutes a student is picked up late. This is to be paid directly to the adult who has waited with your dancer. Parents are asked to be especially timely when their child’s class is the last class of the day. BVI assumes no responsibility or liability for any dancer during breaks from classes or rehearsals inside or outside of the BVI facility.
BVI offers a pay in full and 10-month payment plan option (from the time of registration through June) for tuition for the academic year. All monthly tuition payments are due the first of each month. A $10 late fee applies if payment is received after the 5th of each month. Summer class tuition can be paid weekly or in full for each week of the 6-week summer program, performance workshops, and 1-week summer intensive. An insufficient funds fee of $25 will be charged for all returned checks and declined credit cards.
Tuition is non-refundable. Refunds will not be made, except in the case of serious illness or injury, verified by a doctor’s certificate. If a student is dismissed from the Academy because of unacceptable behavior, no tuition will be refunded. BVI reserves the right to deny any refund request. Should a tuition refund be issued, the registration fee will not be refunded. If a student wishes to withdraw from the Academy, the Academy Directors must receive, in writing, notification that the student is withdrawing. The parent or guardian is responsible for all tuition payments due up until the point the Academy receives written notification of the withdrawal.
Upon registration BVI is granted permission to take photos of any and all dancers to be used in its publications, advertisements, and other promotional materials as deemed necessary. Permission is also hereby granted to BVI to copyright such photos in its name. If parents and or dancers desire otherwise, written permission must be received prior to registration.
Right to Refuse Policy
BVI reserves the right to suspend, dismiss, or refuse services to any student, parent, guardian, or individual whose attitude or behavior conflicts with the standards of BVI, or whose actions are deemed detrimental to others or BVI as a whole.
Medical and Liability Release Policy
BVI assumes no responsibility or liability for any dancer during breaks from classes or rehearsals inside or outside of the BVI facility. BVI will also not be held responsible for any bodily injuries sustained while on the premises or for loss or damage to any personal items brought on the premises by students or their families. This shall include, but not be limited to, any and all activities in the dance school, directly or indirectly around the dance school, or in any other place so designated by BVI, including performances and outreach activities.