The Professional Program
The Professional Program consists of the Lower School (Bridge Level, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4) and the Upper School and Companies (Level 5, Junior Company, Company, and Advanced Company). Dancers will be placed in a level by the Directors that is best suited to their ability. New BVI students require a placement class audition for this program.
The Lower School Program is the beginning of BVI’s Professional Program. Students in this program generally range in age from 7 to 14. Dancers must be committed and possess the physical requirements needed to facilitate classical ballet movement. Beginning in Level 3, they must train year-round, including a pre-approved summer study program or continue their training with BVI’s Summer Programs. These levels are a progressive course of study designed to train technically strong and artistically expressive classically trained dancers. Optional electives available in lyrical, jazz, tap, modern, and character.
The Upper School and Companies Program is designed for the serious dancer generally in the age range of 12 to 20 whose goals include a professional career in dance or acceptance to a major college or university dance program. These levels are a progressive course of
study designed to bring a dancer from the intermediate level of ballet to the technical prowess and artistry of a professional dancer. These levels meet several times per a week to prepare the student with a more rigorous schedule of study, ensuring proper training and physical strength. Continuous emphasis is placed on terminology, muscle memory, proper technique, and body placement. Dancers in both the Upper School and Companies must be committed and possess the physical requirements needed to facilitate classical ballet movement. They must train year-round, including a pre-approved summer study program or continue their training with BVI’s Summer Programs. Optional electives available include jazz, tap, modern, and character.
The Professional Program levels below are a way of grouping students into classes that best meet their individual needs, meaning physical strength, mind/body connection, flexibility, and maturity:
- Level 1 –Includes two 1-hour technique classes per week plus optional electives
- Level 2 – Includes two 1.5-hour technique classes per week plus optional electives.
- Level 3 – Includes one 30-minute body alignment class, three 1.5-hour technique classes, one 1-hour pointe class, and one modern class per week plus optional electives.
- Level 4 – Includes one 30-minute body alignment class, three 1.5-hour technique classes, two 1-hour pointe classes, one 1-hour corps work class, one modern and one character class per week plus optional electives available.
Upper School and Companies
- Level 5 – Includes two 30-minute body alignment or mat classes, three 1.5-hour technique classes, three 1-hour pointe classes, one 1-hour repertoire class, and one modern class per week. Optional electives available.
- Level 6– Includes two 30-minute body alignment or mat classes, four technique classes, three pointe classes, and one modern class per week along with rehearsals for various performances.
- Company – Includes two 30-minute conditioning classes, five technique classes, two pointe classes, one variation class and one modern class per week along with rehearsals for various performances.
Ballet Virginia International offers a program similar to most conservatory programs called the Flex Program. This program is designed for the serious dancer, academy upper school level 5 and above who wish to enhance their training. The program offers additional classes in ballet technique, pointe, variations, modern, performance opportunities and private coaching during the day time hours prior to the regular BVI evening academy class schedule. The program runs every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from October to June of the BVI academy year. Each 2 hour session begins promptly at 1:30 pm and ends at 3:30 pm, leaving time for private coaching, homework, healthy snack or outside
appointments prior to the dancer’s regularly scheduled academy classes. Dancers are still obligated to maintain their regularly scheduled academy classes in addition to the Flex Program. This program is tuition based. If private coaching is desired payment arrangements will be established on an individual basis between coach, dancer, parent and BVI. Note: The Flex Program will only be offered if a sufficient number of students enroll.
The Adult Program
This program is designed for adult dancers ages 16 and up Classes are offered in ballet and tap. Six to eight week sessions happen throughout the year. If you’ve always wanted to give ballet a try or find a fun way to gain strength, flexibility, balance, and grace, this is the perfect place to get started!
Dress Code for Community Program:
- Women – Solid colored leotard, convertible pink tights, ballet/tap shoes. Yoga/work-out pants and skirts are allowed.
- Men – Should wear dance belts, but tights are not required. Shorts or tighter fitting sweat pants are acceptable. Black ballet/tap shoes required.
Students of all ages should wear clothing over their dance attire when outside of the building. Dance shoes should never be worn on any outside surfaces. Hair should be well secured away from the face and eyes.
Men’s Scholarship Program
BVI offers a men’s scholarship program to boys age 10 to 18 by audition only. This program requires each dancer to take a certain amount of classes per week, audition for all of BVI’s productions, and take summer session and workshop classes.
Private lessons are taught by BVI faculty and guest instructors. Private lessons are
$60/hour to instructor and $10 studio rental fee paid to BVI. Semi-private lessons (2-3 dancers) are $40 per dancer paid to the instructor and $10 to BVI for studio rental fee. Cancellations with less than 24-hours notice will be charged the full amount. Payment is due at time of lesson.